Saturday, March 17, 2018

Portraits of a very old girl- Beachcomber 2018


After new topside paint late last year and new standing and running riggings, some new soles and internal paint in the previous year, Beachcomber was better than I'd ever seen her when she turned out for the Paynesville Classic. She sails beautifully and with very good manners, although in light airs I really must remember to loosen the topping lift a bit, so as not to interfere with the main sail shape. When the wind stiffens it is no longer a problem, and in light airs I always feel so relaxed I spend more time listening to the bow wave noises and basking in the feeling of it all that I loose interest in the finer points of trim.


These first four pics are in very high resolution and were taken by a professional photographer, Andrew Franks. The others are by other photographers who shared on Facebook. She scrubs up quite well for a lady with an age over 160, I think.








5 comments:

  1. Wow - she's lovely - those photos really do justice to a great boat

    AKA Max Bursledon Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Max, lovely to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is such a stunning boat. how you doing Robert - hope you are well - clearly out enjoying yourself - good to see

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve, thanks! I seem to get most of my sailing in Beachcomber when our son stays with us- he lives way north of here, but when he gets down we have great fun. Hope retirement is suiting you, but I have no doubt it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup retirement going well - have rediscovered the long lost gardens; restored the woodland and done much needed maintenance work on Arwen. teach odd days too as supply teacher to keep my hand in and about to set off in caravan to varous places around UK

    ReplyDelete