Monday, January 16, 2012

harangued by the Bass Mob


This is one of a mob of five double basses that have joined the 70 odd violins and cellos in for repairs this Christmas (not to mention the 30 new violins that need to be set up for sale to a school). This one is a venerable old German one with the personality of a retired polo horse, and I quite like having him on the bench. But the others lurk like dark sentinels around the perimeter of my little studio, threatening to lean on me when I'm doing something purposeful, and  when the lights go off for the night, they seem to nudge each other, sniggering at the damage they could do if they conspired to fall over.

Anyway, I include this obscure post really to explore that idea of something being 'venerable'. I think I'm secretly hoping that something of this quality will rub off on me, but don't tell anyone that I entertain such thoughts. The truth is, I think, that in order to be venerable, one would need to have that quality that makes people think that one has remained unchanged almost forever, and  not subject at all to external influences and distractions. I would not ever qualify (on both counts), but it doesn't stop me admiring the bass.
Margaret Olley was venerable, and I tried here to pay tribute to that quality in her.

On a lighter note, if things go to plan, I'll do a post on a venerable retired polo horse one day soon....

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like business is booming. That's a good thing right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slightly above normal for repairs this time of year, but not for sales, they are a woeful. The repair bulge is caused by some departments trying to get by without attending to things as they break, and then finding the store room full of wooden tragedies at the end of the year....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret Olley was definately venerable

    ReplyDelete